The Sexpert’s Top Picks: February 2018

As The Sexpert, I enjoy not only giving advice on sexual and reproductive health, relationships, and personal hygiene, but also learning more about the broad topic of sexuality in general. When I am crafting my responses to your questions or enjoying my spare time, I look at different materials and often come across new content that I think you all would enjoy, too. These might include podcasts, books, videos, blogs, or visionaries who support sex positivity and discuss these topics in unique ways. Today, I’d like to introduce my new series: The Sexpert’s Top Picks. Here are some exciting sources that I came across this month:

Bonk: The Curious Coupling of Science and Sex by Mary Roach (Book)

“The study of sexual physiology—what happens, and why, and how to make it happen better—has been going on for centuries, behind the closed doors of laboratories, brothels, Alfred Kinsey’s attic, and, more recently, MRI centers, pig farms, and sex-toy R&D labs.  I spent two years wheedling  and conniving my way behind those doors to bring you the answers to the questions Dr. Ruth never asked.  Is your penis three inches longer than you think? Is vaginal orgasm a myth?  Can a dead man get an erection? Why doesn’t Viagra help women—or, for that matter, pandas?”

The Wing Girls (YouTube Channel)

From “TRUTH: If GUYS were Treated Like GIRLS” to “If Boys Got Their Periods”, this self-proclaimed “Best Female Comedy Duo” creates hilarious videos and sketch comedies on dating and more.

Sex with Emily (Podcast)

“Emily Morse is a sex & relationship expert, author, talk show host & Bravo TV star. Sex With Emily is her podcast about sex, relationships and everything in between. As a ‘sexpert,’ Emily is known for her non-judgmental advice, accessibility and humor.”

Modern Love (Podcast)

“Modern Love: The Podcast features the popular New York Times column, with readings by notable personalities and updates from the essayists themselves. Join host Meghna Chakrabarti (WBUR) and Modern Love editor Daniel Jones (NYT) — and fall in love at first listen.”

Dear Sugars (Podcast)

“The cult-favorite advice column is back, this time speaking straight into your ears. The Sugars, Cheryl Strayed and Steve Almond, take on all your questions — no matter how deep or dark — and offer radical empathy in return. New episodes are released weekly.”

Have some sources you go to for your information? Email the Sexpert at sexpert@princeton.edu and it may make the next Top Picks list!